The Australian Curriculum provides schools, teachers, parents and students a clear understanding of what students should learn. This curriculum applies no matter where a student lives or what school system they're in. A revised Australian Curriculum will be released in 2022.
The Australian Curriculum
The Australian Curriculum guides what students learn in school.
State, territory and non-government education authorities are responsible for delivering the Australian Curriculum. This includes decisions about:
- Classroom practices
- Complementing resources.
Overview of the Foundation to Year 10 Australian Curriculum
The Foundation (Preschool/Kindergarten) up to Year 10 Curriculum provides:
- Curriculum content
- An achievement standard in each subject
- Flexibility for teachers to personalise student learning and respond to student needs and interests.
The Australian Curriculum includes:
- eight key learning areas—English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education, Languages, Technologies and the Arts
- seven general capabilities—literacy, numeracy, information and communication technology capability, critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, intercultural understanding, and ethical understanding
- three cross-curriculum priorities—sustainability, Asia and Australia's engagement with Asia, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures.
Review of the Australian Curriculum
On 12 June 2020 a review of the Australian Curriculum commenced to:
- Refine and reduce the amount of content in all eight key learning areas
- Reflect the goals of The Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Education Declaration
The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority is undertaking the review.
Have your say during the public consultation window from 29 April to 8 July 2021.
Feedback from all stakeholders and the community is welcome via an online survey
Understand the Australian Curriculum, how it's developed and get resources to support delivery:
- Go to The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority for information about the curriculum and ACARA's role
- Read the final report of the 2014 Review of the Australian Curriculum