On this page:
The Australian Government is investing in a $126 million Schools Package and $122.6 million Child Care Package as part of the Closing the Gap Implementation Plan.
Additional funding will scale up existing successful programs by targeting early improvements in reading and literacy outcomes, investing in developing new remote boarding schools, and supporting genuine partnerships to improve outcomes for majority Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander schools in remote areas.
This represents additional funding of $126 million to enhance earlier engagement towards improving Year 12 attainment targets which includes:
- $75 million to build three new remote boarding schools in Western Australia and the Northern Territory under the innovative Studio Schools model;
- $26 million to create partnerships between high-performing city schools and regional and remote schools which will improve leadership, teacher practice, and student outcomes;
- $10 million to implement targeted teaching practices and increase attendance in remote WA schools, drawing on the proven success of the Kimberley Schools Project;
- $8 million to grow the MultiLit (Making Up Lost Time in Literacy) program, which delivers proven, phonics-based reading instruction in primary schools.
- $5 million to expand the pilot run by Good to Great Schools Australia, bringing total funding to $10.8m, which is improving teacher practice and reading outcomes through explicit instruction.
These additional education measures are a key component of the Australian Government’s first Closing the Gap Implementation Plan to contribute to achieving the Closing the Gap targets over the next 10 years.