Scholarships for Young Australians worth up to $13,000
The Commonwealth Scholarships Program is awarding young Australians up to $13,000, to study a vocational education and training (VET) qualification and complete a paid internship.
What is the Commonwealth Scholarships Program for Young Australians?
The Commonwealth Scholarships Program for Young Australians provides scholarships of up to $13,000 for young Australians from select regions to undertake an eligible VET qualification at the following levels:
- Certificate III
- Certificate IV
- Advanced Diploma
The scholarships target occupations identified in projected growth industries and in-demand occupations within each region.
If eligible for a scholarship, you can receive up to $5,000 per year for up to two years of study. You can also receive up to an additional $3,000 for completing a 20 day paid internship. Host Employers can receive $1,500 per intern hosted.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to apply for the Commonwealth Scholarships Program for Young Australians if you are:
- Aged 15 to 24 years old, or exited the Australian Defence Force in the last two years;
- Not in full-time work or school at the time of applying;
- Living in one of the nominated regional areas;
- Intending to enrol for an eligible VET qualification at the Certificate III to Advanced Diploma level which will lead to an occupation in demand.
We encourage applications from everyone who may be eligible, but we would particularly love to see an application from you, if you have exited the Australian Defence Force in the last two years, are Indigenous, are living with an illness, injury or disability, or are from a culturally or linguistically diverse background.
Where are the 10 regions?
To be eligible you must live on one of the ten nominated regions. The regions are:
- New South Wales - Grafton (including Coffs Harbour) and Gosford
- Northern Territory – Alice Springs
- Queensland – Maryborough and Townsville
- South Australia – Port Pirie
- Tasmania – Burnie
- Victoria – Shepparton
- Western Australia – Wanneroo and Armadale
Will I need to study full-time?
If you win a scholarship you can choose to study part-time or full-time.
The Commonwealth Scholarships Program for Young Australians is part of the Australian Government’s $585 million Skills Package, Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow. The aim of the program is to support Young Australians and ex Australian Defence Force personnel to gain critical employability skills, which are embedded in VET qualifications, as well as hands on work experience through completing an internship, enabling them to enter and stay in the workforce.