Destination Australia funds eligible tertiary education providers to offer scholarships to domestic and international students to study and live in regional Australia.
The Destination Australia Program:
- Supports regional and remote Australian tertiary education providers by promoting activities that contribute to growth and sustainability
- Offers students from Australia and overseas the opportunity to undertake high quality education, training and research, and to experience life in regional and remote Australia
- Ensures regions share in the social, cultural and economic benefits that international students bring.
Regional and remote education providers
Tertiary education providers with a campus in regional Australia may be eligible to apply for grants to deliver scholarships of up to $15,000 per year. This will be for domestic and international students to study at that campus from 2021.
In 2021, over $17 million in grants is available. This will support scholarships for up to 4 years ($4.24 million per year for four years).
In 2021, the program will help providers and communities recover from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic by bringing students and economic activity to the local area.
Education providers: apply for scholarship grants
You must apply for Destination Australia scholarship grants through a competitive process. You'll need to:
- Go to the Community Grants Hub, which manages the Destination Australia 2021 grant round
- Make sure you're in an eligible regional location according to the Australian Statistical Geography Standard Remoteness Structure.
- Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Destination Australia Guidelines
- Complete and submit the online application form at the Community Grants Hub.
The Destination Australia 2021 grant round has now closed.
Students: apply for a scholarship
Students will be able to apply for a Destination Australia 2021 scholarship once successful tertiary education providers are announced, the announcement is expected in early December 2020.
Domestic and international students must apply directly to a successful tertiary education provider for a Destination Australia scholarship.
Destination Australia Program 2021 guidelines sets out eligibility, application and other requirements for the grant round.
The Destination Australia Program in 2020 provided 1180 scholarships through 35 providers at 81 locations in regional Australia. A list of successful 2020 providers is available.