What our economics graduates do
Our economics graduates have the opportunity to be involved in the following:
- economic and labour market research and analysis of emerging labour market trends and developments
- providing briefings to Ministers and Department executive on the state of the labour market at a national, State, industry and regional level
- writing reports, preparing publications and Parliamentary Question Time Briefs for the Minister on the key ABS labour market data releases
- investigating labour market outcomes for disadvantage groups, including youth, the long-term unemployed, the low skilled and mature age persons
- contributing to the Australian Government’s submission to the Annual Wage Review
- undertaking our own surveys of employer recruitment activity and skills shortage research
- monitoring job vacancy rates
- undertaking industry and regional employment projections to inform policy development
- analysing the contributing factors assisting Australians to move from unemployment into jobs
- evaluation of government labour market programmes and policies.
Who we are looking for
‘We are looking for graduates who are enthusiastic, energetic and have a strong background in economics and/or econometrics. We are seeking candidates who have a strong work ethic, strong written and oral communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills. Our department’s economics graduates have a strong record of movement and promotion both within the department and, after gaining good experience within the department, across the public and private sectors.’
- Ivan Neville, Assistant Secretary, Labour Market Research and Analysis Branch
In addition to the eligibility criteria for graduates in the generalist stream, we are looking for graduates who have:
- Tertiary qualifications in economics and/or econometrics.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate difficult concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude open to learning and innovation.
The department has consistently featured in the Top 100 Graduate Employer rankings over the past few years. This achievement highlights our active commitment to supporting talented graduates, helping them to expand their skills and experience, and reach their full potential.