In May 2020 the Prime Minister announced that the former Council of Australian Governments (COAG) ceased. The new architecture for federal relations includes the Education Ministers Meeting.
What is the Education Ministers Meeting?
The Education Ministers Meeting is a forum for collaboration and decision-making on:
- early childhood education and care
- school education
- higher education
- international education.
Australian, State and Territory government ministers responsible for education attend the meeting.
The Commonwealth Minister for Education is the Chair of the Education Ministers Meeting.
Ministerial authorities and companies
Five ministerial authorities and companies provide services for national education initiatives:
- The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) manages the national curriculum, the National Assessment Program, data collection and reporting.
- Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) administers the National Quality Framework (NQF).
- The Australian Education Research Organisation (AERO) commissions research on effective teaching and learning practices for teachers and school leaders across Australia.
- The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) supports implementation of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and the Australian Professional Standards for Principals, in partnership with jurisdictions.
- Education Services Australia (ESA) provides technology services for the education sector.