The Australian Government is undertaking the largest reform to employment services since 1998. The New Employment Services Model (new model) will commence in July 2022.
In October 2020, the Department of Education, Skills and Employment (the department) conducted a public consultation process seeking stakeholder feedback on the proposal to introduce a licensing system in employment services (the new system). The new system is based on key recommendations from the Employment Services Expert Advisory Panel’s report released in December 2018. Trials of the new model commenced in July 2019.
The new model will deliver a simple, efficient, trusted and connected service that delivers the best outcomes for job seekers and employers.
The department will introduce the new system in conjunction with the procurement on a range of services that constitute the new model.
The key objective of the new model is to reduce long-term unemployment by providing employment services through a modern and sophisticated digital platform and investing in quality, tailored enhanced employment provider services for unemployed Australians.
More information about the New Employment Services Model is available on the department’s website.
On 17 June 2021, the department released an Exposure Draft of the proposed Request for Proposal (RFP) for the new model. The Exposure Draft described the proposed purchasing arrangements and Statements of Requirements for each service under the new model, consistent with the reforms announced by the Australian Government in March 2019.
The feedback period for the Exposure Draft closed on 7 July 2021.
The department expects to release the RFP for the new model in early September 2021.
The Exposure Draft has been split into sections for ease of navigation and printing. The relevant sections and what they include are listed below. The information contained in the documents ‘Exposure Draft for the New Employment Services Model 2022 Purchasing Arrangements’, should be read in conjunction with all or any of the Service Statements of Requirements and draft Deeds.
- Exposure Draft – for the New Employment Services Model 2022 Purchasing Arrangements
- Appendix 1 RFP – Enhanced Services Statement of Requirements
- Appendix 1a – Draft Deed of Standing Offer
- Appendix 2 RFP – Employability Skills Training and Placement Management Services Statement of Requirements
- Appendix 2a – Draft Employability Skills Training Deed
- Appendix 3 RFP – Career Transition Assistance
- Appendix 3a – Draft Career Transition Assistance Deed.
Exposure Draft information presentation
- Exposure Draft – information presentation
- Exposure Draft – information presentation slides
- Exposure Draft – information presentation speaking notes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The FAQ document for the Exposure Draft will help you find answers to the questions you may have. The FAQ document will be updated regularly.
Exposure Draft Industry Briefings
On 22 June 2021 and 25 June 2021, the department conducted industry briefings for the Exposure Draft in the form of live webinars. The industry briefings were open to all stakeholders.
Questions asked at the industry briefing presentations have been incorporated into the FAQ.
Exposure Draft Feedback Process
The deadline for written feedback was 5.00 pm (Canberra time) 7 July 2021. The department can no longer consider feedback received on the Exposure Draft.
You can view the published submissions at Submissions to Exposure Draft – for the New Employment Services Model 2022 Purchasing Arrangements.
Other Useful Resources
The Exposure Draft should be considered together with other information, including:
- Labour market data, which provides historical information that can assist potential Respondents to understand the employment service environment. Labour market information is available at the department’s Labour Market Information Portal
- Job seeker story examples
- Targeted Compliance Framework diagram
- information available on the department’s New Employment Services Model page
- New Employment Services Model Financial Viability Analyses - Summary of Findings
- Fact Sheet for Outcome Payment Ratios.
If you have a question in relation to this Exposure Draft please email the Employment Services purchasing Hotline or phone 1300 733 514 (Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (Canberra time, excluding ACT and national public holidays).