Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislation makes sure courses for international students meet quality standards.
Protection for international students
Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislation makes sure training providers meet nationally consistent standards in education delivery, facilities and services.
Breaches are treated seriously and the penalties can be significant.
Training providers need to:
- Register on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and meeting special registration conditions
- Follow the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (the National Code) for the conduct of registered providers and the registration of their courses
- In addition to the National Code requirements, registered providers:
- delivering English language courses to overseas students must follow the English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Standards
- delivering Foundation Programs to overseas students must follow the National Standards for Foundation Programs.
Tuition Protection Service
The Tuition Protection Service is a placement and refund service that helps:
- International students on student visas affected by a provider closure
- When students have withdrawn from or not started their course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees that have not been paid by the provider
- Provide students with the information they need to choose an alternative course that best suits them through an online placement system
- Arrange a refund of any pre-paid tuition fees if there is no course that meets their needs