The National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code 2018) supports the National Strategy for International Education 2025 to advance Australia as a global leader in education, training and research.
On this page:
The National Code is a legislative instrument made under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 and sets nationally consistent standards to support providers to deliver quality education and training to overseas students.
The National Code 2018 commenced on 1 January 2018. Education providers must comply with the National Code to maintain their registration to provide education services to overseas students.
National Code 2018 Factsheets
- General Factsheet
- Standard 1: Marketing information and practices
- Standard 2: Recruitment of an overseas student
- Standard 3: Formalisation of enrolment and written agreements
- Standard 4: Education Agents
- Standard 5: Younger overseas students
- Standard 6: Overseas student support services
- Standard 7: Overseas student transfers
- Standard 8: Overseas student visa requirements
- Standard 9: Deferring, suspending or cancelling the overseas student’s enrolment
- Standard 10: Complaints and appeals
- Standard 11: Additional requirements
The National Code 2018 factsheets will continue to be updated to reflect questions from the sector.
The Department of Education and Training provides general information and assistance to registered providers and overseas students on the National Code and the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000.
However, such information or assistance should not be relied on as legal advice or as a substitute for legal advice. Overseas students and education providers should seek independent legal advice as appropriate.
The National Code fact sheets are designed to give registered providers practical guidance in day to day operations. Registered providers should note that compliance will be measured against the requirements of the National Code, not against the fact sheets.