The Department of Education, Skills and Employment contributes to Australia’s economic prosperity and social wellbeing by creating opportunities and driving better outcomes for people, through education, skills and employment pathways.
On this page:
Our graduate program is a great way for you to transition from education to employment. We know firsthand the significance of this milestone and you’ll find our graduate program connects you to friendly, experienced professionals who will help you apply your skills and knowledge as you start your career pathway in life.
Creating opportunities through education, skills and employment is at the heart of our department’s purpose.
Our Graduate Program
The department offers a ten-month graduate program to those with Higher Education (university) qualifications. Successfully completing the Program will help you apply your skills and build on your experience for a fulfilling career in the Australian Public Service (APS).
The ten-month program provides the opportunity for graduates to experience a holistic view of working in a government agency and it establishes the foundation for graduates to learn core APS fundamentals.
The successful completion of the graduate program offers you the stepping stone to launch your career into the broader Australian Public Service.
Our 10-month Graduate Program runs from February to December each year.
Located in Canberra, the program offers:
- two diverse work placements which provide the opportunity to work on a variety of programs and policies developed and implemented by the department
- a supportive, inclusive and flexible working environment
- on-the-job experience
- learning and development opportunities and;
- various opportunities to be involved in a wide range of networks and fundraising events.
When you join the Program you also get:
- relocation assistance to move to Canberra
- permanent ongoing employment in the Australian Public Service
- career progression from APS level 3.1 to APS Level 4.1 on successful completion of the program
- support from a buddy/alumni
- an Employee Assistance Program for wellbeing and career support
- a dedicated Graduate Sponsor passionate about seeing you thrive.
Through our work, we aim to create brighter futures – starting with you.
Our Graduate Career Streams
Career streams are designed to give graduates the opportunity, where possible, to be placed in areas relevant to their qualifications and career of choice and engage in relevant specific on-the-job learning and development. For the 2022 Graduate Program, the department will offer mainstream positions and a number of specialist career streams including Economics, Finance, Data and Legal.
DESE Graduate Program
Applications for the 2022 Graduate Program are now closed.
Each year as part of DESE’s Graduate Recruitment Program we recruit graduates with various skill sets.
Our work is broad and requires people with all types of qualifications, which is why it is so important that we encourage as many applications as possible to our DESE Graduate Program.
Education and jobs are central to Australia’s COVID-19 recovery and our department has a big program of work to deliver. That’s why, we are encouraging applications from people with a broad range of skills including but not limited to:
- Business and Commerce
- Public Policy
- Arts & Humanities
- Project Management and Human Resources
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Data Science & Analytics
- Digital Technology
Specialist career streams
The Department of Education, Skills and Employment participate in the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP).
The department works collaboratively with AGGP to recruit talented individuals through speciality graduate programs. In 2022, DESE participated in the following career streams:
Applications for the AGGP specialist streams have now closed for 2022.
Specialist career streams
The Department welcomes applications from all degree disciplines for our program. For the 2022 Graduate Program, the department will offer mainstream positions and a number of specialist career streams including Economics, Finance, Data and Legal. These specialist career streams will have slightly different requirements. Career streams are designed to give graduates the opportunity to be placed in areas relevant to their qualifications and career of choice and engage in relevant specific learning and development (and/or additional qualifications).
To be eligible for the Graduate Program, you will be required to:
- be an Australian Citizen or going to be granted Australian citizenship before you commence and be able to provide evidence of this
- have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or higher within the five years prior to the start date of the Graduate Program. You will be required to provide evidence of completion before the start of the program
- obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government Baseline security clearance
- relocate to Canberra for the commencement of the program.
- satisfy the relevant medical check (if required for the position).
The department seeks to attract enthusiastic and motivated people, who are passionate about driving better outcomes for people through education, skills and employment. This important work contributes to Australia’s prosperity and social wellbeing—it makes a difference.
Our recruitment process
The first step in the application process is to submit your application by the due date when applications open. You will be advised at each stage of the process if you have progressed further.
The recruitment process involves a range of assessments which may include:
- psychometric and cognitive online assessment
- video interview
- attendance at assessment centres (face to face or virtual) including research and presentation task
- reference check.
Read our tips on how to apply.