DESE welcomes applications from all degree disciplines for our DESE Graduate Program. We offer mainstream positions and a number of specialist career streams including Economics.
The Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE) and its people are at the forefront of Australian labour market analysis and policy development. By providing economic and labour market advice to portfolio Ministers and the Australian Government, the Department’s work directly impacts on the lives of Australians. DESE economics graduates are involved in core work and are given real responsibility from the start.
On this page:
What our economics graduates do
Our economics graduates have the opportunity to be involved in the following:
- economic and labour market research and analysis of emerging labour market trends and developments
- providing briefings to Ministers and Department executive on the state of the labour market at a national, State, industry and regional level
- writing reports, preparing publications and Parliamentary Question Time Briefs for the Minister on the key ABS labour market data releases
- investigating labour market outcomes for disadvantage groups, including youth, the long-term unemployed, the low skilled and mature age persons
- contributing to the Australian Government’s submission to the Annual Wage Review
- undertaking our own surveys of employer recruitment activity and skills shortage research
- monitoring job vacancy rates
- undertaking industry and regional employment projections to inform policy development
- analysing the contributing factors assisting Australians to move from unemployment into jobs
- evaluation of government labour market programs and policies.
Who we are looking for
‘We are looking for graduates who are enthusiastic, energetic and have a strong background in economics and/or econometrics. We are seeking candidates who have a strong work ethic, strong written and oral communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills. Our department’s economics graduates have a strong record of movement and promotion both within the department and, after gaining good experience within the department, across the public and private sectors.’
- Ivan Neville, Assistant Secretary, Labour Market Research and Analysis Branch
In addition to the eligibility criteria for graduates in the generalist stream, we are looking for graduates who have:
- Tertiary qualifications in economics and/or econometrics.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate difficult concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude open to learning and innovation.
Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP)
We are a participating agency in the Department of Treasury’s Economics Graduate Stream which is part of the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP).Applications for the AGGP specialist stream have now closed.
Applying for our Graduate Program
Applications for the 2022 Graduate Program are now closed.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com.
The department has consistently featured in the Top 100 Graduate Employer rankings over the past few years. This achievement highlights our active commitment to supporting talented graduates, helping them to expand their skills and experience, and reach their full potential.