The Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE) is responsible for national policies and programs that help Australians find and keep employment and work in safe, fair and productive workplaces.
On this page:
Graduates working in our finance area will help shape the delivery of essential services within the financial resource management framework. By providing sound financial management advice to the executive team, the department is able to shape policy that impacts on the lives of Australians and DESE graduates are given real responsibility from the start.
What our Finance graduates do
- Prepare detailed budgets and costings for projects, initiatives and DESE groups.
- Interpret accounting standards and provide financial analysis and reporting.
- Write briefs including senate estimates and updates to internal policies and guidelines
- Detailed account reconciliations and reporting
- Assist in procurement activities including interpretation of the Commonwealth Procurement Guidelines
- Problem solve, conduct process mapping and suggest improvements
‘The DESE graduate program has provided me with the support and training to take the step from University to the APS. I have found the department to be an innovative and positive place that encourages growth and provides opportunities across a range of finance functions.' - Jake Harper, 2021 Graduate
‘The DESE Graduate Program has given me the opportunity to gain work experience in the finance area right after graduating from university. With a supportive network of co-workers and supervisors, I am able to gain exposure to different work areas and their roles. This is helping me greatly in finding my interests and determining my career for the future.' - Jason Nguyen, 2021 Graduate
Who we are looking for
- Tertiary qualifications in commerce or accounting related disciplines
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, problem solve and work as part of a team.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude open to learning and innovation
The department has consistently featured in the Top 100 Graduate Employer rankings over the past few years. This achievement highlights our active commitment to supporting talented graduates, helping them to expand their skills and experience, and reach their full potential.