Student eligibility for VET FEE-HELP

On this page:

A student is entitled to VET FEE‑HELP assistance if they:

  • are Australian citizens or permanent humanitarian visa holders; and
  • meet the course requirements:
    • are full fee-paying students in any state or territory enrolled in a diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate or graduate diploma course at an approved VET provider; or
    • are subsidised* by a state or territory government (other than the Australian Capital Territory) and are enrolled in a diploma or advanced diploma course at an approved VET provider; or
    • are subsidised by the Victorian, South Australian, Queensland, Western Australian, or New South Wales Governments and are enrolled in one of the specified Certificate IV qualifications nominated in the Certificate IV Trial in that State – refer to Certificate IV Trial for more information; and
  • are enrolled on or before the census date in an eligible unit of study through an approved VET provider and remain enrolled in the unit at the end of the census date, and
  • have not exceeded the FEE‑HELP limit

* Access to VET FEE‑HELP for diploma and advanced diploma qualifications in the Australian Capital Territory is for eligible full fee-paying students only, with access for subsidised students to occur in 2015.  More information, including commencement dates, will be on this website as it becomes available.

For further information regarding eligibility requirements for subsidised training, visit the respective state government websites below or refer to the Extension of VET FEE‑HELP to Subsidised Students document.


Skills Victoria website

South Australia

Skilled Careers website or email or call the Department for Innovation and Skills on 1800 673 097


Great skills. Real opportunities website

Western Australia

Future Skills WA website

New South Wales

Smart and Skilled


Skills for Work

Northern Territory

Northern Territory Flexible Reforms website

It is a provider's responsibility to determine student eligibility. Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) can provide additional information on visas, including permanent humanitarian visas. Visit the DIBP website or call 13 18 81 for further information.