Online Employment Services

Online Employment Services (OES) are the Australian Government’s mainstream online employment servicing platform on the jobactive website. They were created in April 2020 in response to the increased demand for Centrelink payments and employment services due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

OES allows job seekers to manage their job search and reporting requirements online.

On this page:

Why have I been referred to the OES?

Services Australia referred you to OES because you:

  • applied for a Centrelink payment e.g. JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance; or
  • have been granted a Centrelink payment eligible for employment services.

What if I live in a New Employment Services Trial (NEST) region?

You will be referred to Digital Employment Services if you live in one of the New Employment Services Trial (NEST) Employment Regions, which are:

If you’re eligible, you may be referred to a NEST Employment Services Provider. If you are located in a NEST region, please refer to the fact sheet Changes to Digital Servicing in the New Employment Services Trial. 

What do I need to do in the OES?

  1. Go to
  2. Sign into your myGov account.
  3. Select Australian JobSearch from the list of services to link your account.
  4. Follow the prompts to set up your jobactive job seeker account.

Refer to the user guides at for help.

Once you have linked your accounts, there are three things you must do:

  1. Complete the Job Seeker Snapshot
  • This is a series of questions to help us understand the level of support you need to find a job.
  • If you have already done the Job Seeker Snapshot, you don’t need to do it again unless your circumstances have changed or if there’s new information we need to know.
  • If you need extra support, we may move you out of online services and refer you to an employment service provider instead.
  1. Review and agree to your Job Plan
  • A Job Plan is a list of tasks and activities, like searching for jobs, you need to do in return for receiving a Centrelink payment.
  • It is important you do the tasks in your Job Plan to make sure your payment is not affected
  • You won’t be able to agree to your Job Plan if you are waiting to get your payment.
  1. Meet your mutual obligation requirements in your Job Plan
  • Complete Your tasks to do by the dates shown on your dashboard.
  • Prepare for and go to any interview you are offered.
  • Accept any suitable job you are offered.

If you need to adjust your Job Plan requirements or can’t meet them contact the Digital Services Contact Centre on 1800 314 677.

I’ve tried agreeing to my Job Plan but I can’t I’m on an exemption. Do I still need to agree to my Job Plan?

We are aware that some people are having issues reviewing and agreeing to their Job Plan.

Don’t worry, your payment will not be affected by this issue.

Please sign into your account and check your Tasks To Do.

If you’re still having issues with your Job Plan please let us know by calling the Digital Services Contact Centre on 1800 314 677.

If you have an exemption from Centrelink, you won’t be able to review and agree to your Job Plan right now. That’s ok, your payment won’t be affected.

If you have questions about your exemption, contact Centrelink.

How long can I stay in OES?

You will be in OES for 12 months after you commence.

You can stay in OES for over 12 months if you are earning an income. If you undertake study or training, you can stay in OES for an extra six months after your course ends.

You can choose to transfer to an employment services provider at any time.

If you choose the provider services, you will not be able to transfer back to the OES.

Can I access the OES if I am with a provider?

No, you will stay with your employment services provider. But you can still use the jobactive website and have access to your dashboard to help with your job search efforts.

If you have been affected by COVID-19, visit the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for job seekers website for more information.

Can I get help from a provider instead of using OES?

You can choose to transfer to a provider under ‘Quick Links’ on your dashboard. Click ‘Transfer to Provider’ and follow the prompts.

If you transfer to an employment services provider, you will not be able to transfer back to OES.

If you need some help using the OES, please call the Digital Services Contact Centre on 1800 314 677.

What help can I get from the OES?

There is information to help with your job search on your dashboard, the jobactive website or the jobactive YouTube channel.

You can access online employment services any time from your smartphone, tablet or desktop computer.

If you’re aged between 15-24, you may be eligible for three one-hour Youth Advisory Sessions. At these sessions you can get advice on preparing for an interview or improving your job search skills plus more!

Employability Skills Training (EST) can improve your chances of getting a job. You’ll get the skills employers want and you’ll learn how to demonstrate them.

Career Transition Assistance  (CTA) is for people aged 45 and older. CTA will help you build skills and confidence to be more competitive in your local job market.

Try the new Job Switch tool, you can use it to find jobs you might already have the skills for!

The Skills for Education and Employment (SEE) program gives you free training in reading, writing, maths and computer skills to help you find a job or a future training pathway.

If you want to start and run a new small business, you may also be eligible to participate in the New Business Assistance with NEIS.

You can also visit the Job Outlook website to use the Skills Match tool to find out the types of work that might suit you.

Go to the National Careers Institute website to get more career information and support.

If you need help with OES:

What is the Six Month Activity Requirement?

If you have been in OES for more than six months you will need to participate in an approved activity, study or paid work that allows you to build your skills and confidence, so that you are ready for your next job. We call this the Six Month Activity Requirement.

You can meet the Six Month Activity Requirement by selecting from a range of activities and training courses that align with your goals and circumstances, including:

When you need to meet the Six Month Activity Requirement we will let you know through your dashboard’s Your tasks to do list. We will also send you an inbox message and a text message or email.

If you do not meet the requirement you will be transferred to a jobactive provider (or, if eligible, Disability Employment Services (DES) provider) who will assist you to find an activity, and that may include 8 weeks in a Work for the Dole activity. If you transfer to a jobactive provider, you will not be able to transfer back to Online Employment Services.

If you need help with the Six Month Activity Requirement:

Approved study or training

You can undertake approved study or training at any time while you are in OES. If you are doing an approved course, it can count towards meeting your mutual obligation requirements. Approved study can be full time or part time and can be in online or face to face courses.

Approved study or training courses are less than 12 months in duration which are available through JobTrainer or subsidised by state or territory governments.  

You can find these approved courses on the myskills website. website.

Other approved study includes Higher Education short courses listed on the courseseeker website which are under 12 months in duration.

How does study or training count towards my requirements?

If you are doing an approved course for 40 hours per fortnight (including contact hours and recommended non-contact hours), your job search requirements can be reduced by half. You will need to complete a study declaration.

If you are in paid work (including self-employment) and you are doing an approved course for a combined total of 70 hours per fortnight, you won’t have to look for work. You will need to complete a paid work declaration and a study declaration.

If you need help with completing your Study Declaration, read the How to make or update a study declaration factsheet.

When will I be transferred from OES to a jobactive, Transition to Work, or Disability Employment Services provider?

If you are eligible for provider services, you will be transferred automatically after you complete your Job Seeker Snapshot.  

If you are eligible for Disability Employment Services, you will be transferred to a provider directly from OES unless you have chosen and remain eligible for digital servicing.

If you are eligible for Transition to Work, you will be automatically referred to a Transition to Work provider.

Service Guarantee

If you are a job seeker participating in the OES or Digital Employment Services, the Online Employment Services Guarantee sets out the minimum level of service you can expect to receive, as well as the requirements you need to meet while looking for work.

How is the Government supporting job seekers to access online employment services?

Under the 2020-21 Budget, the Government has invested $183.1 million to fast track and expand the Online Employment Services (OES). This ensures the most job-ready job seekers get the most appropriate support in preparing for and finding work.

Changes made to the OES include:

  • support to upskill or reskill through subsidised training
  • skills matching tools – including Job Switch which is powered by Jobs and Education Data Infrastructure (JEDI) data through the National Careers Institute (NCI)
  • support to connect job seekers to complementary programs and training opportunities
  • greater access to support through expansion of the Digital Services Contact Centre.

New safeguards have also been introduced to help job seekers in online services and ensure they can access face-to-face provider services.

Digital Assessments help identify job seekers that may be at risk and prompt them to consider face-to-face servicing. A Digital Service Review will be done every four months to ensure job seekers are successfully managing their online job search requirements.

For more information on these measures, visit the New Employment Services Model page.

What help was provided to young people in the Budget 2020-21?

Digital job seekers (aged 15-24) can access up to three one-hour Youth Advisory Sessions (YAS) with a Transition to Work (TtW) provider. These Sessions will automatically be available to self-book for eligible participants via the jobactive website. For more information please see Youth Advisory Sessions.

Sessions will be tailored to your needs and may include:

  • interview preparation assistance
  • career advice
  • help with writing or updating your resume
  • information on, or connection to, other Government or community assistance including mental health organisations.

Participation is voluntary and can be accessed any time while you’re in Online Employment Services, the Volunteer Online Employment Services Trial or NEST Digital Employment Services.

What Online Job Search and Soft Skills Training was provided to young people in the Budget 2020-21?

Digital job seekers have access to online learning modules to help them develop their job search and employability skills. This training is available on the Department’s website.

Can I access OES if I am in Disability Employment Services (DES)?

From 1 January 2022, job seekers who are found eligible for Disability Employment Services (DES) and who also meet OES eligibility may have the option of participating in digital services instead of DES, initially through OES. Job seekers who are already DES participants will not have this option.

In OES you will be able to manage your job search and reporting requirements online. You will need to complete a Job Plan and will have the same activity requirements as other job seekers in OES, including the Six Month Activity Requirement.

You will be referred to a DES provider after 12 months in digital services. You can also leave digital services to go to DES before the 12 months if you choose. If you wish to leave OES and be serviced by a provider in DES, you will need to speak with the Digital Services Contact Centre on 1800 314 677.

You may also be moved out of OES if your circumstances change.

Do you need help understanding or reading this information?

If you need an interpreter, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can use the National Relay Service.