The new measures were announced on 19 June 2020 to reform Australia’s higher education system to produce graduates with job-ready skills, and support students in regional and remote areas of Australia. The exposure draft is available for public consultation ahead of the Government introducing legislation to Parliament in the spring sitting period.
The legislation to be introduced to Parliament will deliver:
- greater capacity for universities to respond to increasing domestic demand
- a focus on better preparing universities for jobs that reflect Australia’s future economic, industry and employment priorities
- stronger links between universities, industry and employers
- greater flexibility for universities to manage their funding
- greater transparency and accountability in funding arrangements for universities.