The department offers an Indigenous Affirmative Measure recruitment process which provides a valuable opportunity to engage the cultural strengths that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people bring to the workplace.
By embracing these strengths we help create culturally responsive environments where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are empowered to achieve their full potential in the workplace.
The department promotes a culture where Indigenous business is everyone’s businesss ― across its work practices, values and business. Employees are also supported through the provision of a number of learning opportunities to build their cultural capability.
We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, mature-age people and people with disability, regardless of sex, sexuality or gender identity.
In addition to our Affirmative Measures ― Indigenous recruitment process as part of our normal graduate program recruitment process, we also work with other APS agencies to recruit through the programs they offer.
Indigenous Career Pathway
The Indigenous Graduate Pathway is coordinated by the Australian Public Service Commission in partnership with participating Commonwealth Government agencies, including DESE.
Graduates who come through this pathway are offered generalist career opportunities working on national policies and programs that help Australians find and keep employment and work in safe, fair and productive workplaces.
What our Indigenous pathway graduates do
As an Indigenous graduate, you will find yourself working in various roles that may include policy development and advice, project and contract management, program implementation, governance and communications.
Some of DESE’s strategic priorities, which you may work on, include:
- improving learning outcomes by enabling quality, affordable and accessible early education and care for families
- improving schooling outcomes for our children
- equipping the workforce of the future through globally competitive tertiary education, training and research sectors
- helping people find and keep a job, create their own job, change jobs, reskill and enjoy fulfilling careers
- developing a strong evidence base for effective policy that reflects and understands the varied needs of the Australian population, business and industry.
Please see our website for further information on the department’s ongoing programs and initiatives.
Who we are looking for
- Tertiary qualifications in any discipline
- strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, problem solve and work as part of a team
- well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders
- enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude open to learning and innovation.
Supporting your career
‘I have been lucky enough to join the department through an entry level program and have now been with the department for almost six years.
The culture at the department values difference and culture and always strives to be all-inclusive. As such, we are looking for people that are dynamic, agile, inclusive and be willing to share their unique life experience.
The department has a number of support mechanisms in place for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees such as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employee network, Indigenous Champions, a Yarning Room and myself as the Indigenous Liaison Officer.
I would encourage anyone to apply for a position in the Department that is looking to create a fulfilling career that also gives back to the community.’ - Leanne of the Wiradjuri Community, DESE Indigenous Liaison Officer
This year, DESE accessed the whole of government Indigenous recruitment program being managed by the Australian Public Service Commission to recruit some of our 2021 graduates. The 2021 Indigenous Graduate Pathway applications have now closed
For more information, visit the Indigenous Careers website.
2021 DESE Graduate Program – Affirmative Measures
The Department welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander peoples in all degree disciplines to our graduate program. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants may like to opt into the Affirmative Measures process.