The Regional Employment Trials program helps local stakeholders provide employment and training related assistance to unemployed people.
Please note funding for new applications has now closed
How it works
Employment Facilitators will work with Regional Development Australia (RDA) to help develop employment and training projects that connect job seekers to local employment opportunities.
The Regional Employment Trials Program will deliver:
- stronger connections between regional stakeholders, including employment services providers
- tailored employment initiatives that meet local needs
- improved awareness of local labour markets
- the potential for improved regional employment outcomes
The Regional Employment Trials program concludes on 30 June 2021.
To run a Regional Employment Trials Program you'll need to be a:
- local government organisation
- training organisation
- other community group that provides employment or training to unemployed local people
- Regional Development Australia Committee
- jobactive, ParentsNext or Transition to Work Employment Services Providers
Funding for projects
A Local Employment Initiative Fund of $10 million is available for the 10 regions involved in the Regional Employment Trials program.
If eligible, you can apply for a grant between $7,500 and $200,000 for a project that helps create local jobs.
Successful projects include:
- pre-apprenticeship placement programs
- mature aged residents and local business leaders mentoring job seekers
- preparing job seekers for future infrastructure projects in the region
- work experience projects aligned with local employment opportunities
See if you're eligible for funding.
Areas involved and local contacts
Northern Inland RDA
Far South Coast RDA
Melbourne (Western Melbourne/North Western Melbourne Employment Regions only *)
Townsville and North West (Townsville Employment Region only *)
Wide Bay Burnett RDA
Murray Lehmann (Townsville) Murray.Lehmann@dese.gov.au
Tamilyn Brennan (Cairns/Mt Isa)
Murraylands and Riverland RDA
Yorke and Mid North RDA
|Western Australia||Peel RDA||Maryanne Baker
|Tasmania||Tasmania (North and North Western Tasmania Employment Region only *)||James McCormack
* Employment Regions are boundaries used by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment to administer many of their employment services programs.
For more information, you can:
- Download the Regional Employment Trials program factsheet
- Call the National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260
- Email the Regional Employment Trials program by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
If you're a grant recipient, see the following information on the AusIndustry website:
Find jobs in regional Australia
The Regional Employment Trials (RET) program can also help you find work in regional Australia.
You may be eligible if you:
- Live in one of the RET regions
- Or, if you're looking to move to a RET region, you may be able to access Relocation Assistance to Take up a Job.
- Are part of the jobactive, ParentsNext or Transition to Work programs.
You can also volunteer to participate. Contact your local Employment Facilitator for more details.