Calculating Research Block Grants

On this page:

Research Block Grants are calculated using two years of the most recently available research income and higher degree by research (HDR) completions data. This method rewards the relative performance of each higher education provider (HEP) in attracting research income and supporting students to completion of an HDR.   

Research Training Program

The Research Training Program (RTP) allocates funding to HEPs based on their share of competitive grant income (25%), engagement income (25%) and HDR completions (50%) in accordance with the Guidelines.

Image
RTP funding driver

The 2017 to 2021 grant years include transitional arrangements that provides a graduated application of the new funding formula implemented in 2017 where 25 per cent of a HEPs RTP grant amount is determined by applying the new funding formula, with the remaining 75 per cent based on its prior year’s allocation.

A detailed guide to calculating the Research Training Program is available.

Research Support Program

The Research Support Program (RSP) allocates funding to HEPs based on their share of competitive grant income (47%) and engagement income (53%) in accordance with the Guidelines.

Image
Graph showing the percentage of RSP funding drivers

The 2017 to 2021 grant years include transitional arrangements to limit the scale of variability in RSP grant amounts. The transitional arrangements ensure that no HEP receives less than 95 per cent of its RSP grant amount from the previous year’s allocation, indexed.

A detailed guide to calculating the Research Support Program is available.

Data used in 2021 Research Block Grant calculations

The Data used to calculate 2021 Research Block Grants include:

  • 2018 Research Income
  • 2019 Research Income
  • 2018 HDR Completions
  • 2019 HDR Completions
  • 2020 Research Block Grant allocations (for transition purposes)

Historical Data

The historical research income, HDR completions and Research Block Grants are available in the Research Block Grants time series data sets.