On this page:
Awards and scholarships
- Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA) (1996-2016)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) (1990-2016)
Support for research
- Research Infrastructure Block Grants (RIBG) (1975-2016)
- Joint Research Engagement (JRE) (2010-2016)
- Sustainable Research Excellence (SRE) (2010-2016)
- Research Training Scheme (RTS) (2001-2016)
Guidelines and conditions
Australian government funding is provided through annual block grants to eligible Australian HEPs in accordance with section 46-20 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
The Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2012 and Other Grants Guidelines (Research) 2012 provided the legislative basis for the provision of funding for these historical schemes and can be downloaded from the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislation.
These Guidelines were repealed and replaced with the Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017 and Other Grants Guidelines (Research) 2017.
APA Stipend Rates
Historical Australian Postgraduate Award stipend rates are also available
For more information, email RBGrants@dese.gov.au with the name of the program you wish to enquire about as the subject line.