This page provides access to national reports on school teacher workforce data and analysis, wholly or partly funded by the Australian Government, which aim to inform teacher workforce issues and planning.
On this page:
The OECD Teaching and Learning International Survey
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Teaching and Learning International Survey(TALIS) 2018 (the third TALIS) focuses on the learning environment and working conditions of teachers in schools. It aims to fill information gaps in the international comparisons of education systems. The 2018 survey's main sample involved lower secondary teachers (Years 7–10) and principals from 48 participating countries, and included about 3500 teachers and 230 schools from Australia.
The TALIS reports are available at:
- TALIS 2018 International Report Volume 2
- TALIS 2018 Australian Report Volume 2
- TALIS 2018 Australia Country Note Volume 2
- TALIS 2018 International Report Volume 1
- TALIS 2018 Australian Report Volume 1
- TALIS 2018 Australia Country Note Volume 1
- TALIS 2013 International Report
- TALIS 2013 Australian Report
- TALIS 2008 International Reports
- TALIS 2008 Australian Report
Staff in Australia's Schools
The Australian Council for Educational Research conducted the Staff in Australia's Schools (SiAS) survey of teachers and school leaders in 2013. Data was collected on various topics, including initial teacher education, employment status, job satisfaction, career paths and intentions, principal authority and teacher appraisal.
There are two reports on the SiAS:
- a main report that breaks down findings by primary and secondary teachers and leaders across all of the areas of the survey; and
- a supplementary report that analyses the results for selected primary and secondary curriculum areas.
- The 2013 survey also provides comparative and updated data following surveys done in
2006-07 and 2010.
The SiAS reports are available at:
- SiAS 2013 main report
- SiAS 2013 profiles of teachers in selected curriculum areas report
- SiAS 2010 main report
- SiAS 2010 supplementary report
- SiAS 2007 main report.
Australian Teacher Workforce Data (ATWD) collection
The Teacher Education Ministerial Advisory Group report, Action Now: Classroom Ready Teachers, recommended better teacher workforce data collection and sharing at the national level.
With the support of all Australian governments, the Australian Teacher Workforce Data (ATWD) collection is under development. This collection will provide the first ever national, whole-of-life picture of the teacher workforce, from those entering initial teacher education, to experienced teachers, through to retirement.