On 24 November 2021, the Prime Minister announced an investment of $242.7 million to support select universities to boost prioritised research and development and drive commercialisation outcomes with industry partners. This includes a total of $30 million for participating universities to partner with CSIRO and access specialist equipment to supercharge their research translation and commercialisation capabilities.
All universities were invited to complete an initial Expression of Interest form which will be used to shortlist applicants who will then provide a more comprehensive business case.
To support the selection of Trailblazer Universities, the Department of Education, Skills and Employment (the Department) have set up a panel of university, industry, science, and research leaders. The panel will be chaired by Mr Tony Cook PSM, Deputy Secretary of the Higher Education, Research and International Group and includes
- Ms Janean Richards, First Assistant Secretary, Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources
- Emeritus Professor Paul Wellings CBE, former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Wollongong
- Mr Andrew Stevens, Chair of Industry Innovation and Science Australia
- Ms Judi Zielke, Chief Operating Officer, CSIRO (at EOI stage only)
- Mr Dom English, First Assistant Secretary, Higher Education Division, Department of Education, Skills and Employment
Following the shortlisting of the EOI applicants, CSIRO will work closely with shortlisted applicants to finalise the specialist equipment component of their business case.
Expressions of interest are due for submission to the Department on Monday 17 January 2022. Further information on the Trailblazer Universities Program is available on the Trailblazer Universities Program page.