Training packages are a key feature of Australia's national vocational education and training (VET) system.
Training package qualifications are occupational skills standards against which training delivery and assessment of competency can take place. They are developed through a process of national consultation with industry.
On this page:
Training packages are used as the basis for most of the programmes delivered in the VET system, including Australian Apprenticeships, training courses offered by registered training organisations, VET in Schools programmes, recognition of existing skills, and occupational licensing.
The aims of training packages are to:
- help the VET system achieve a better match between skills demand and supply
- encourage flexible and relevant workforce development and learning
- provide for the national recognition of the vocational outcomes of learning
- guide and support individuals in their choice of training and career.
Standards for Training Packages
Standards for Training Packages are of high quality and meet the workforce development needs of industry, enterprises and individuals. The Standards apply to the design and development of training packages for endorsement consideration by the Australian Industry and Skills Committee.
The Standards for Training Packages are supported by the following two policies:
- Training Package Products Policy which supports the design of training packages
- Training Package Development and Endorsement Process Policy, which describes the process for development and endorsement.
Following endorsement, training packages are published on the National Register of VET training website to allow implementation within the VET sector.
The former Training Package Development Handbook, which has been superseded by the Standards for Training Packages and their supporting policies (which can be viewed at the top right of this page) contain relevant information and guidance for VET accredited courses until such time as the Standards for VET Accredited Courses are revised.
- Regulation of VET
- National Register of VET – training.gov.au
- Australian Skills Quality Authority
- Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority
- Training Accreditation Council (WA)
- Australian Qualifications Framework
- NATESE website
The NATESE website of the former National Advisory for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment was decommissioned on 12 December 2014.