Transition to Work helps young people aged 15-24 into work (including apprenticeships and training) or education. Transition to Work participants receive intensive, pre-employment support to develop practical skills to get a job, connect with education or training, find local job opportunities and connect with relevant local community services.
Check your eligibility
To participate in Transition to Work you must be:
- Between 15-24 years old
- an Australian citizen, or
- an appropriate Visa holder
It will also depend on your individual circumstances, including whether you:
- Have a Year 12 certificate or equivalent, such as a Certificate III.
- Have been employed within the last six months.
- Are receiving an income support payment such as Youth Allowance.
- Are participating in another employment service including Workforce Australia.
Prepare for a job
Transition to Work providers can help build your skills and confidence to continue your education or get you ready to start a new job. They work with you to find the best mix of activities and services to help you achieve your goals. This may include:
- capability development and adult life skills
- career guidance
- access to job-specific training, work experience and internships
- job search and interview preparation and support
- networking with local employers
- supporting you and your employer to help you stay in a job
- connecting with local support services, such as housing assistance or mental health support.
Benefits for employers
Transition to Work providers ensure young people meet employers needs and are supported to settle into a job by:
- Providing pre-employment skills training that meets the needs of local employers and the labour market.
- Providing work experience placements or internships to see if a potential employee is suitable for the job.
- Negotiating Youth Bonus wage subsidies of up to $10,000 (GST inclusive) if you offer ongoing employment to Transition to Work job seekers.
- Providing post-placement support to make sure your new employee settles into their job.
For more information,
- Call the National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260.
- Go to Find a Provider to search for your local Transition to Work Provider
- Call the Employer Hotline on 13 17 15 *.
* Call charges apply to ‘13’ numbers from mobile phones.