How to request approval of a third party arrangement

How existing VSL providers can submit requests for approval of a third party arrangement for training delivery.

On this page:

Under section 15 of the VET Student Loans Act 2016, approved courses must be delivered by (a) VSL approved course providers (b) a person or body registered by TEQSA; and (c) persons or bodies specifically approved by the Secretary (or delegate of the Secretary) under the Act.

This guide outlines the process to submit a request to the delegate of the Secretary for approval under section 15(1)(c) of the Act.

When can I submit my request?

You can submit a request at any time throughout the year.

Who can make a request?

Requests must be submitted by a person who has been nominated by the provider in HITS as a contact.

How do I submit a request?

If you wish to request approval of a VSL third party training delivery arrangement, email the VET Student Loans approvals team at to obtain a third party arrangement request form. After preparing your request, please return the form, along with all required supporting evidence, to

What evidence should be submitted in support of a new or renewed VSL third party arrangement for training delivery?

You must submit verifiable evidence of the skills, qualifications and relevant experience of the third party (eg. a company, an association, a partnership or an individual). You must also include a complete copy of the agreement between your organisation and the third party.

Please frame your submission in a manner that addresses each of the elements of Section 4.6.4 of the VET Student Loans Manual for Providers.

Are there circumstances where I do not need to submit a request for approval of a VSL third party arrangement for training delivery?

Yes. If the third party you decide to use meets the requirements of section 15 of the Act (i.e. it is either a VSL approved course provider itself or else a TEQSA approved higher education provider) then the approval of the delegate of the Secretary is not required. In such instances, the legal entity name of the new third party must be added to the “third party” field in HITS, thus alerting the department to your new third party training delivery arrangement.

Note:   Consistent with the definition of ‘third party’ set out in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015, an individual in an employment arrangement with the relevant VSL approved course provider is not considered a third party for the purposes of section 15 of the Act. Note, however, that an individual engaged as an independent contractor is a third party for the purposes of section 15. VSL providers are reminded that section 15 only covers the delivery of training. Other related functions such as the enrolment of students are captured by section 49 of the Act – the prohibition on brokers and agents.

How long will it take to process my request?

Ordinarily, you can expect to be notified of the outcome within three weeks after receipt of your request, however due to the impact of COVID-19 on staffing levels, it may take slightly longer.

Where can I find further information?

You can refer to Section 4.6.4 of the VET Student Loans Manual for Providers or use the VET Student Loans Providers’ Form below to ask a question.

VET Student Loans provider enquiry form

Privacy statement

Personal information

Your personal information is protected by law, including under the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act).

Personal information is information or an opinion about an identifiable individual. Personal information includes an individual’s name and contact details.

Purpose of collecting your information

We will use the information you have provided to handle your enquiry.

We may need to collect further information from you in order to handle your enquiry. If you do not provide this information to the department, it may affect how we handle your enquiry.  In some circumstances, it may mean we are not able to handle your enquiry.

Disclosure of your personal information

Your personal information may be disclosed to other parties where it is necessary to handle your enquiry, where you have agreed, or where it is otherwise permitted under law (including the Privacy Act).

Privacy policy

The department’s Privacy Policy, including information about how to make a complaint and access to and correction of your personal information, can be found at or by requesting a copy from the department at

To contact the department about your personal information email