Details on eligibility for New Business Assistance with NEIS.
On this page:
Who is eligible for New Business Assistance with NEIS?
You can receive New Business Assistance if you:
- are at least 18 years of age at the time of commencing in NEIS Assistance;
- are not prohibited by law from working in Australia;
- are available to participate in NEIS Training (if relevant) and work the required hours in your proposed NEIS Business;
- have not received NEIS Assistance in the past year;
- are not an undischarged bankrupt.
What business ideas can receive assistance?
If you are eligible to receive New Business Assistance, your NEIS provider will assess the business idea to make sure it meets the business eligibility criteria. This means your proposed NEIS business:
- is either not operating on a commercial basis or is an existing micro-business affected by COVID-19
- will have an independent business structure
- is lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
- has been assessed as commercially viable by the NEIS provider
- will be established, located and operated solely within Australia
- will be structured so you have and will maintain a controlling interest over the NEIS business while participating in New Business Assistance.
Want more information?
- You can directly approach a NEIS provider located in your area. You can find your local NEIS provider on the Find a Provider page on the jobactive website;
- Talk to your jobactive, ParentsNext or Disability Employment Services provider;
- Call the National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260
- Read the Self-employment—New Enterprise Incentive Scheme general fact sheet. Translated versions of this factsheet are also available
- Visit the SelfStart online hub
- Find out more about help available through New Business Assistance with NEIS or get more details on NEIS training, support and payments.